Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Discipline Methods That Back Fire

Last week, Evie was very funny. There was one specific occassion that made me feel like she was my sarcastic mini-me. While fixing dinner, Evie became very interested in an air freshner that plugs into the wall. I said, "No touch." That didn't work. I gave her something else to play with. That worked for half a second. Then I tried counting to three. This definitely didn't work because she decided to repeat the numbers after me, but instead of her sweet voice she mimicked me in a louder more firm tone of voice. I thought it was funny and made a mental note not to count as a form of discipline. Right now, she doesn't understand its significance. No big deal. Evie became interested in something else and moved on from the air freshner. So, I continued preparing dinner. Now, fast forward to our actual dinner time.

Evie was almost finished with her dinner and was playing with her sippy cup. Her usual routine is to take a drink and then act like she's going to drop her cup over the edge of her high chair. Josh and I are working on ending this. So, when she hung her cup over the edge, I told her to put it back on her plate and pointed to her high chair tray. This worked one time, but then she decided to test Mommy. The second time I wasn't thinking, and I said "one" in a very stern voice. She placed her cup back on the tray, but then quickly took it over the edge again. Using a stern tone, I said, "Evelyn." Then Evie looked at me, raised her index finger in the air, and with her best "Mommy" impersonation said, "one." It was all I could do not to bust out laughing.

So, last week I learned two things. My daughter is going to be just like me and her Daddy-funny, ornery, and occasionally sarcastic. Also, the whole counting thing just won't work right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is hillarious. Sounds very familiar right now. Our precious little stink pots. Boy is it hard not to laugh at their creativity and ornriness. Right now Kaelyn just laughs at me whenever I tell her no and tries whatever it was again.