Saturday, October 20, 2007

Racing for Ruby

Today was the Race for the Cure. For the fifth year in a row, I have either ran or walked in the event. Today I walked the 5K with my mom. We had a great time, and the weather couldn't have been better. The crowd as always was huge. It's an awesome sight to stand at the top of a hill somewhere on the course and look in front and behind you. All you can see are thousands and thousands of people running or walking to fight breast cancer. No matter how hard you try there's no way to see the end or the beginning of the race. My mom and I saw some of the sweetest women walking the 5K. They were probably in their 60s (I'm terrible estimating age.) with curly gray-white hair, and they were survivors. They reminded us so much of Granny Ruby, my mom's mom. If she was alive today, she would have been out there with us walking the entire 5K. I like to imagine that she does walk with us just not physically. We love you, Granny.

No comments: